PYRAMIS
@pyramis

Let's hear from the Bassists on IMS !!!

PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
What kind of gear are you using for bass when you record,and what do you use when you play live ?
updated by @pyramis: 06/16/17 09:32:29AM
Dazed
Dazed
@dazed
16 years ago
48 posts
not really a bass player per se but when I record I use a Carvin B4 bass. Great bass imho.
updated by @dazed: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
Ab1
Ab1
@ab1
16 years ago
0 posts
well got a dean 4-string thing.. and a nameless (well at least i forgot) 5-string kinda thing..
play em through my gallien-kruger guitar amp.. but i EQ up the bass frequency and it sounds alright to me on my songs (imposter blues, oh dean, mojo, etc..) live? is that like living?
think I'm still alive.. least when that spliff is burnin.. peace my awesome pyramis bassman..
updated by @ab1: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
Well so far I have recorded twice with PYRAMIS, and used totally different set-ups both thimes.
On our first demo,from 2006, I used a Yamaha BBG5S 5-string bass, plugged directly into the mixing board.
On our second demo, from 2007, I used a "FrankenBass" I built out of parts I had lying around.
It started life as a Silvertone LB11 P-Bass clone,and I added a 1970's vintage Japanese pawn-shop special maple fretboard Mateo neck to it.
I played that through my Randall 125-115,( '80's "hair band" amp"
updated by @pyramis: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
Admin
Admin
@carciello-grant-doctor-c-farrell-and-friends
16 years ago
128 posts
hehehehehehehehe! Well....."In the day"....I always used a Fender Jazz bass and had an Acoustic head with two cabinets.....1 - 18" reflex speaker cabinet and one with 6 -10"s. I tried a Rickenbacker, but found the neck too wide.....same with a Fender precision bass, though I did have a fretless precision. Now, being a hobbyist....I still use my Jazz bass, though not the same one.....and I use Line 6 Gear box modeler of an Ampeg with 8- 10's............that's it......hehehehehehehhe
Rob
updated by @carciello-grant-doctor-c-farrell-and-friends: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
Ab1
Ab1
@ab1
16 years ago
0 posts
so is everybody using VST modelers and stuff these days? you all get such great tones..
give a rapper some help here.. :-)
updated by @ab1: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
For the PYRAMIS tunes,I just plugged whatever bass I was using into a splitter,and ran
one side to the mixer and one to the amp.
The amp was not miked,just there as a monitor for me to be able to hear myself.
All of my bass sound comes from running the bass straight to the mixer,and eq'ing from the mixer.
updated by @pyramis: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
Admin
Admin
@carciello-grant-doctor-c-farrell-and-friends
16 years ago
128 posts
I believe, I'm beginning to see that modelers all have a certain sound maybe. Not much I can do about using it though :-) But Hey!! I find I can pretty much get whatever sound I want....uh??...MOST of the time....hehehhehe
Rob
updated by @carciello-grant-doctor-c-farrell-and-friends: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
Farrell Jackson
Farrell Jackson
@farrell-jackson
16 years ago
24 posts
Hey all, I'm not a bassist either. I'm just a musician that thinks he can play any instrument, lol! So I dabble on anything that you can make noise with.

On bass for my recordings I have a couple of basses that I use, a 1980 Gibson EBO and a 1970 Vox violin bass. I typically use a Korg bass modeler and go with a Sunn or Ampeg (can't remember ) Model T patch. I also use a Berry V-Amp bass modeler sometimes but prefer the Korg. As an amp, when I choose to mic, I have a 1966 Bassman that I've converted to a combo amp with two ten inch Carvin bass speakers. I use this amp for guitar as well and it doubles well for bass or guitar.

Farrell
updated by @farrell-jackson: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
TCP
TCP
@tcp
16 years ago
0 posts
Hey y'all,
I use different basses...Carvin, Conklin, Peavey US or Line 6 variax..running thru Line 6 bass pox xt into mixer then into PC for home studio recording. If I am looking for a more evil tone I'll use a Schecter C5 (5 string) for it's dark EMG edge. Recently, i've been scoring bass on keyboard/midi, converting to guitar pro5 tabs, sending them to my son who learns it and then tracks the bass on the song. He also uses a Carvin LB70P. He's a better player, and this frees up some additional time for me not having to rehearse and track bass (altho, I must say I miss playing bass!).

~Blake
updated by @tcp: 08/05/13 09:46:42PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
Yeah man. I use a lot of different basses playing and practicing too, Blake.
I currently own 12 basses,and all of them get played on a regular basis.
When friends come over and walk into my studio room,they say, "Man,this
looks like the bass section at a music store".
I just smile and say, "Welcome to my world"....... :)
updated by @pyramis: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
TCP
TCP
@tcp
16 years ago
0 posts
LOL Tsar....I know exactly what you mean!! I didn't quite get up to 12. I think it was a max of 9 before I started selling some. I found myself leaning towards a few, ignoring some, then finding - oh yeah - I liked the others too. It was tough selling most of them as each had something endearing about it, or I had intentionally strung various ones for specific purposes. Oh well. Basses are just awesome things...what can I say? One thing I'll say - you must have a decent size studio! Amazing you play all dozen regularly! Got any faves? ~Blake
updated by @tcp: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
Admin
Admin
@rob-grant
16 years ago
128 posts
You guys are BASS HO'S!! My little baby knows I love her....and I'll NOT touch anothers neck.....NOPE!! Notgonnadoit! Hehehehehehehe....and you call me a HO....SHEESH! BLAKE....YOU SELL THEM TOO?!?!?!?!?! NASTY!!
updated by @rob-grant: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
Well,yes I do have some favorites.
Let's see...the 1978 Gibson G3 Grabber,which I bought new in 1978,
modified heavily over the intervening years,and just recently did a total stock restoration job on.....
My Ibanez SR505 with the Bartolini pickups.......
My current favorite,(as of this moment), is one I just finished putting together today.
It's a Fender Precision body,with an after-market maple fretboard Jazz neck,and a
Bill Lawrence EB-60PB split-coil pickup that sounds amazing.
Let's be honest, I love all of my basses,and have never even entertained thoights of selling any of them.
They all have unique tonal characters,differing from each other,and no two of them sound the same.
I'm not a **** Rob...just keep a big harem !!!
TCP
TCP
@tcp
16 years ago
0 posts
Rob....ok, I'll Grant you - you come up clean in the bass dept, but we all know you're da HO of HOs! But I do have to say, I love your J tone.

Tsargoth...sounds like you're a bit of a luthier to me. Must be cool to custom make stuff. Haven't heard of Bill Lawrence pickups, but they sound like they may be hand wound. Maybe you can remember to point them out to me if you wind up recording with this new Fender Precision genetic experiment you're doing. Any experience with Darkstar pickups? I believe they make them for bass. Spozed to be pretty nice. 78 G3 Grabber....hmmm. I've got a hunch of what that looks like, but my memory sucks. I'll have to look that up in my bible. I'll bet it's worth a pretty penny (um, not that you would think of selling it!)
updated by @tcp: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
No Blake,I've had that G# for 30 years for a reason......it''s overall the most versatile of any bass I have.
The G# has three single coil pickups,(Gibson used Bill Lawrence pickups in these basses,thus my introduction to Bill Lawrence pickups), and combined with that wonderfully expressive Gibson neck with the maple fretboard, there's no style of music they won't cover.
Look them up for sure,and if you ever get the chance, buy one !!!
I also have another bass in the works.
It's a 1976 Gibson Grabber body,and I just bought a NOS G3 pickguard,and 3 NOS Bill Lawrence single coils like the ones in my '78 G3.
The plan is to put a Fender 5-string Jazz neck on the Gibson Grabber body,with all-original Gibson G3 electronics.
Want to try to get the versatility of the G3 Grabber in a 5-string bass.
It should be a sound to make bassists everywhere drool.........
FocusPlayer
FocusPlayer
@michael-nunley
16 years ago
0 posts
Well, for most of my tunes, I play my Variax Acoustic 700 and use the "virtual capo" on the Tripple O setting and tune it down a full octv. So, I'm using my 6-string guitar to play bass lines. That's what I play when I have to do a bass line at church too - It's pretty cool to just punch a button/twist a knob, and go from 12-string to bass in the middle of a song. To record, I have to EQ it to death tho -
Just lately, i purchased - and have been using a BIG HUGE Dean Acoustic 4 string. Very low cost monster - played thru an Art-tube pre into the board. Not live tho - only here in my office.
updated by @michael-nunley: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
KB Bren
KB Bren
@kb-bren
16 years ago
0 posts
Ok, in my younger years I used Ampeg SVT's with Ibanez basses and as I got on in years and my back gave out (and stages got smaller) I went to smaller Ampeg cabs. For recording, I sometimes go through my Digitech BNX3 or my Line 6 Spider or even direct. I either play my acoustic Alverez bass or one of my Ibanez's. I record with MBox and Pro Tools and life is wonderful! KB
updated by @kb-bren: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
Joey B Goode
Joey B Goode
@bj
16 years ago
0 posts
I use a 1972 Fender Jazz bass into a Yorkville 400 live (not for a few years now!) and plug straight into the desk for recording.
(btw when I was using the Yorkville we got to one gig and there was a notice backstage telling the bass player (me) not to play so loud....BEFORE we'd even started!)
updated by @bj: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
Mach
Mach
@mach
16 years ago
0 posts
Oh how I luv my Bass. She is 8lb. 6oz. and so shapely and scaly too. Lately she smells really fishy, it could be that buggy protein diet that builds up toxic ketones.

But I do have an '84 Yamaha BB1600 and she is a beaut. I've used this Bass since the mid 80's for Live and recording. I also have a mid 70's Fender P-Bass--the one with the p/u cover that's been modded with a Duncan Hot jazz p/u. I used to have a Gibson Grabber with the slide p/u...can't remember what year those were. Does a washtub, a stick, and some twine count?
updated by @mach: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
alicesweetalice
alicesweetalice
@alice-sweet-alice
16 years ago
0 posts
I play a Dean Edge Q4 into an ART Tube MP Studio, through my Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer, into my M-Audio Audiophile 192. Recorded into Sonar 6.2. Sometimes I double my tracks; I always hit one with a light chorus anyway. The other I leave totally clean & dry. That way if I want I can effect one and bring the other up to enhance attack.
updated by @alice-sweet-alice: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
stu
@stu
16 years ago
1 posts
hi... can i join in..?

i use a schecter 5-string straight into my laptop via a tascam interface to record it.
i also have a custom fretless (non-fender) jazz (but it has a ground problem and i can;t be bothered to fix it), a 7/8 upright with a shadow underfoot pup with on board preamp, and a yamaha rbx-800 4-string... they all go in the same way. the jazz and the yamaha both have a p-j pup set and are passive (yes... the jazz does not have 2 singles)... the schecter has active (top and bottom) eq... which i tend to run on 'cut'.

live i would use a GK 112 backline fore the upright, as it has a nice flat response, and i have an ashdown mag-300 head through a deep peavey 410 with an attenuated (but tiny and useless) horn.

i generally hate bass VST's... sorry..!!
i have an acoustic guitar, and don't use it at all very much... i know a guitarist... :)
updated by @stu: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
PYRAMIS
PYRAMIS
@pyramis
16 years ago
0 posts
Have to agree with you Stu, about the bass VST's.
Just plug me straight to the mixer, and I am a happy hippie !
Peace,
Tsargoth
fly
fly
@sterlingstudios
16 years ago
0 posts
i play musicman.....either DI or miced.......and sometimes DI and miced at the same time...good tone outta the musicman's i have.
updated by @sterlingstudios: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM
JaymantheBassman
JaymantheBassman
@jaymanthebassman
16 years ago
0 posts
Some basses listed here are making my mouth water... like a '72 Jazz... :) my birthyear!! :)
But to the question at hand:
For studio I always go direct.
Using either a:
- 2002 EB Stingray
- 1988 Peavy Active DynaBass
- Mid '80's Tokai HardPuncher (P-bass)
- Home built '62 deluxe Jaco tribute fretless
- 2007 Dot On Shaft Phat 5-string - Active w/ Piezo
The Tokai gives me the best all around studio sound - Stingray right behind
Always using Guitar Rig 2 with an Ampeg set-up of sorts to suit

Live:
One of above basses but the Stingray and Tokai are my favs.
Thru:
Ampeg SVT-3 Pro w/ Peavey 1516BW Cab (2X 8", 1x 15") and Peavey 2x 10" w/ Horn
Usally D.I. to the board if needed - rarely miked. No pedals (octave/overdrive sometimes) I luv my sound.

CHeers all!!
updated by @jaymanthebassman: 08/05/13 09:46:43PM

Tags

Dislike 0