Mixposure
@mixposure

Can a recording be “too perfect?”

james.jordan
james.jordan
@jamesjordan
3 years ago
2 posts
It’s amazing what you can do with modern recording software, but sometimes I wonder if it’s possible to overdo it. I think too much editing and effects can give the music an artificial quality. What are thoughts on the subject?
updated by @jamesjordan: 08/14/23 09:09:36PM
Admin
Admin
@admin
3 years ago
128 posts
I think that is up to each persons individual taste. Sometimes I hear stuff and I wished they used auto tune. We had one amazing musician (Gabriel Sabadi) here that used to tell me he would have typically over 100 tracks per song. His songs sounded amazing. I would not want to manage 100 track in my worst nightmare. As for artificial quality, listen to any top 40 song today and I would say they all sound that way. There is no such thing as raw talent it would seem anymore.
Farrell Jackson
Farrell Jackson
@farrell-jackson
3 years ago
24 posts
I like to get my songs as good as possible but in my case I don't have the skill or equipment to get them perfect. I do clean my tracks up by making sure my instruments are aligned, free of noise, and as in tune as I can get them. But for the most part I record the old fashioned way but in the digital world. So no one ever has to worry about hearing something from me that's perfect. Although I do admire folks that can do that. I also like to hear the human quality in a song.

Farrell
Bill B
Bill B
@bill-b
3 years ago
5 posts
The ultimate test is a live solo instruments IMO in that case the answer
'Can A Recording Be “Too Perfect?”" be no.
Depends on the context and purpose of the recording.
A recording of a live Hammond B3 organ can never do justice to being in ones presence live. To capture a solo violin realistically a stereo mike set up and a revox reel to reel can get close.
some of the finest live classic Jazz recordings are still stereo miked tape.
So a lot depends on the meaning of too perfect.
The term "over produced' might be a better term to use.
The answer is yes it happens many times and always has.
the best artists when to stop...I think Picasso said that one.
Farrell Jackson
Farrell Jackson
@farrell-jackson
3 years ago
24 posts
Well said Bill!
truevulgarian
truevulgarian
@the-truevulgarians
3 years ago
3 posts
Wish I had such a problem... lol
wricky
@wricky
3 years ago
3 posts

I guess it can go either way sometimes :)
[FUNNY] Meanwhile In A Recording Studio
updated by @wricky: 08/30/21 01:52:46PM
lodato
@lodato
3 years ago
3 posts
I find a lot of the music I hear especially on network radio that has been done in the last ten or so years sounds inhuman. It gets on my nerves. It’s really frustrating when I hear a great song that’s been so worked with plugins, it’s become completely lifeless. There are many who mix with real gear and digital and work a little harder to get a real take and rely on the performance and placement to speak for itself. This is what I look for. Or for someone to really fool me. Haha!
updated by @lodato: 09/02/21 03:57:32AM
Gabriel
Gabriel
@gabriel-sabadi
3 years ago
1 posts
No such a thing as a perfect recording. You can spend a lifetime trying to perfect it. Do the best you can and move on!

Tags

Dislike 0